To re-read or not re-read!

Oh 31st July!

When this date rolls around in the calendar, my Potter alarm goes off and for the last 16 years, I have re-read Harry Potter. Whatever books were out at the time I would read. In the years where the books were being released it did sometimes mean I read them twice in a year but eventually when they were finally all out I got down to reading them once a year.

Last year I boldly announced to my husband it was time to stop. As much as I really do love the series I needed a break I said, needed a chance to read more books. So when the 31st July rolled around this year what did I do...Well I started re-reading Harry Potter of course! I actually think I am classically conditioned to do it now. The day appears and my brain switches to HP mode. I justified that it had to be done as I have the two stunning new illustrated editions and it would be wrong to not to read them – I don’t want the books to feel neglected and unused.

In truth, though I just love the series. It has long be a firm favourite and each time I read it is like putting on your favourite cosy jumper. Each time I am reminded of the different times in my life I have re-read the series. The newly wed reading, the holidays I read them on, the late night baby feeds, the new house reading. I am just so familiar with them that it really is my normal. This year though I have decided to change the routine of the re-read. I know the series so well that I really do not need to rush through them. Therefore, after I finish each instalment of HP I will be reading another book from my TBR. That way I am not hindering myself with re-reads and plus it motivates me to read another book as then I will be allowed to step back into the next Harry Potter.

So following up from Philosopher’s Stone I read Moonrise by Sarah Crossan which I was over the moon (no pun intended) to get an ARC copy off and now I have finished Chamber of Secrets I am reading Roar by Cora Carmack which I got in my June fairyloot box and it looks like a riveting read. I was in such a reading slump so this has helped me so much!

Comments