The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle


Image result for the Accident season

A buried fear. A forbidden love. Every secret is an accident waiting to happen. 


I cannot pretend this book didn't leave me saying one word I over and over again. Huh!
I really loved the idea of an accident season, the blurb as it should completely enthralled me and I had to read the book.

Cara and her family experience a bizarre phenomenon that in one season of their lives each year they seem to be subject to a number of accidents from minor injuries to near death experiences. The family lives in fear of this season wrapping themselves practically up in cotton wool just to survive.
The starts as the family are nearing the end of the accident season, they are nervously counting down the days until it is over. Cara's mother is trying her best to remove all the dangers out of the house and keep her daughters and step-son safe.

This was an unexpected story there is so much more to it then just a weird accident season, it is full of witchcraft, abuse, romance and a variety of different themes. For me this was the issue - just a bit of an overload of identity. I'm not sure what the story was. Fantasy, drama, romance etc. Unfortunately for me I was super confused. Metaphor overload and an overwhelming sense of uncertainty. Credit where credit is due though I was drawn in by the mystery and eerie nature of the story. Sadly though at least the first half of the story really dragged and it wasn't until the secrets came out I was properly hooked. Part of me thinks I was only so hooked due to the fact I had a very thin grasp on what was actually being revealed and what the secrets actually were.

A clever twist to the truth about the accident season saved the book for me.

If you loved We Were Liars this is for you 


Comments