The Thousandth Floor by Katherine McGee


The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor #1)

The Higher you are, the father you fall


My Husband lovingly picked up this book for me as I had been quite keen to read it. I was really intrigued by the blurb and the cover was just so sensationally beautiful I had to have it.

The Thousandth Floor surrounds the mysterious lives of several upper floor and lower floor characters. There lives and wealth are in direct correlation to the floor they live on. Avery Fuller and her brother Atlas live on the 1000th floor. They are the pinnacle of the society with the ability to get their hands on anything and everything they desire. Set 102 years in the future with technology at their finger tips and for those on the higher floors an ability to get anything you want.  The story gripped me as it opens with a girl plunging from the top of the Thousandth Floor. I kept reading just to learn the identity of the young woman.

The trouble with this story for me is I hadn't really absorbed the comment on the front being written by the author of  Gossip Girl. Now the minute you actually process the Gossip Girl comment everything clicks a bit more as not one of the characters did I like. Credit to McGee as her characters are incredibly diverse. But they were all superficial, selfish and to be quite honest the most narcissistic people I've ever read about. They had no heart, no redeeming features and I just didn't like them. I briefly really liked Watt as him and Nadia are such a clever creation but unfortunately even he was driven by a belief that if you wanted something you could just do what you wanted to get it. I briefly thought that Marion seemed like an interesting character as she challenges the characters as she seemed more true and kind but you barely get to know her. I imagine she is going to appear in the rest of the trilogy quite a lot though.

From everything that happens the comparison I will make is Pretty Little Liars, it has that feel written all over it. The book clearly demonstrates the overwhelming power of secrets and the way they can be used to protect and to hurt. What I will say is I was really disappointed with who the girl falling from the highest floor was - she was the only character I was slowly but surely starting to find cracks of a normal girl inside!

Truthfully I wanted more from the futuristic elements of the story, the idea of a world created within a skyscraper with all kinds of technology, medical and scientific advancement was really fascinating and I wish McGee could have written more to do with those ideas. I am not sure if I will read the next instalments as a priority but it is a quick read.

Written well and is exactly what it says on the tin - fans of dramas will love!


Comments