Book Review: Life of Pi

An Unexpected Adventure.


My second book of the year was a very different choice for me. I read the blurb of Life of Pi and was in no way gripped or even intrigued to open the cover (very judgemental of me I know). This book however was strongly recommended to be by my family and with the film release I thought I would explore what this book was about.

The blurb reveals that the story is about Pi who is stranded on a boat with a Bengal tiger. When I started the book however I was utterly confused. Nothing of the sort was happening. There was no boat, no sea and although there were animals they were definitely not trapped in the ocean. I was a considerable way through the book before I felt I got to the story. I understand the importance of character development but for me I just was waiting for an actual story to begin.

Once you arrive in the ocean it starts to become a more interesting story. However, from my perspective it was still not enough to keep me turning the pages hurriedly. The end of the story left me somewhat confused. This was a book with a very long start and middle but the briefest of endings.

Having said all this it is a good story. It is full of bitter sweet moments and an undercurrent of humour throughout. I enjoyed it but not as much as all the hype had led me to believe.

Don't waste that precious reading time


Currently Reading: Money Run by Jack Heath (Brilliant Book Award Book)

Comments