Driven to distraction!

If I look at my CV one of the phrases or buzz words that I have always written down about myself is that I am self-motivated. I mentioned it in my application for my masters and in my personal statement to apply for the graduate trainee position I am in.

I am starting to question how true this statement is about me. I actually looked the phrase up on dictionary.com and this is the definition

"Initiative to undertake or continue a task or activity without another's prodding or supervision" (Dictonary.com accessed 28th October 2012)

At work I would say this is completely accurate. I have initiated work myself and created my own projects whilst also following great direction. 

However, when it comes to my masters and my housework I am the ultimate procrastinator. I can find myself distracted by the easiest of things and often I go the long way round to put the actual task off for as long as possible. 
Recently whilst attempting to study for my Masters I have found the internet one of the biggest distractions. Even when I turn off my computer and take good old fashioned notes with a pen I still have a phone that will buzz when a watched item on eBay is ending or when someone has emailed me. It is the ultimate distraction. I have to make a major decision to shut out the temptation to look at my phone or to get myself in a bidding war on eBay. eBay is probably the worst distraction for me. I love to browse items for the house and recently with Christmas approaching I have been enjoying finding beautiful handmade decorations on eBay. I can browse for ages even though I know I have a fair bit of work to complete. 

I am hoping I can live up to my description of myself during half term. I have given myself a hypothetical deadline for completing my two assignments a month before they are due in January. At the moment I am not sure how realistic this aim is but I am hoping that if I get cracking (and typing) I will get some words written by the end of half term and then hopefully I will be on roll and want be able to stop typing (a girl can dream). 

To help I looked up a few tips online about remaining motivated. One of the suggestions was to write a list of the steps towards your goal. Breaking down what you need to do into manageable chunks so it doesn't look like a mountain to climb but more of a series of hurdles to jump. So tomorrow I plan to create a list of steps required for both my assignments, hopefully it will work!

I have had a lovely lazy day today in hopes that it will be the final one of half term and I can get myself up and working tomorrow. I do thankfully have some lovely plans with great friends and my hubby for his birthday so half term should still feel like a holiday rather than a working week.  

Any others studying and struggling to stay motivated? Any tips on how to keep going?

Currently Reading: The Killables by Gemma Malley (Review coming soon)






Comments