Finally!


Today is the day I have been waiting for. Four months ago I was thankfully offered a new job in the career path I really wanted to pursue. I for once in my life managed to keep this relatively secret so that I could continue working in the call centre. Last Monday I finally handed in my notice and revealed all. Considering I am on a temporary contract I didn’t expect anyone to be surprised but there were a few shocked faces when I announced I was leaving.

I am taking a few weeks off before I start both the course and the new job but I am so excited. I have been wishing the time would pass more quickly but the lack of a lot to do has meant it’s taken its sweet time getting to August. I have spent just shy of a year answering a few calls and reading my way through my book shelves, the Lisa Gardner collection and spending far too much money downloading books to my Kindle.  Finally however I am going to start a job in a career that will not only keep me busy but I will no longer be home so late, catch so many buses and be so bored.  It’s not the work that was really the issue it was the lack of work that caused me such frustration! I know many people who would love the scenario I just described. However getting paid to do nothing has in reality made me feel quite useless.

I wonder how many other people are in jobs they dislike. I know how frustrating it can be being in a career that you just do not want. I spent quite a while in this situation and although freedom is just around the corner it’s taking me a lot of thought and prayer over the last year to find a way out!
Being a librarian is not something I grew up dreaming about, I was confident when I started university that I would be a teacher but in the end I decided I was not made for that, I just do not have the commitment it takes.  However, with this foundation removed from under my feet I had no clue what to do and this along with a few job disappointments led me into a call centre that for a long time I didn't know how to get out of.  I ended up using my copious amount of time ‘googling’ what I could do with my life that I would love. I am an avid reader and I have always wanted a job where you work closely with people if you combine the two you can see why being a librarian suits my interests. 

I have been really blessed to have had the time to narrow down my choices and make a decision where there was no pressure to find something in rush. I am fortunate aswell that there was a job available nearby to my home that was a trainee position.

So this is it. The official last day and the start of a new adventure! It’s sad to say goodbye to the people I work with but I am sure we will be comforted by these delicious cakes my sister has made for me!



 Currently reading:  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I have almost finished my annual Harry Potter marathon)




Comments

  1. I feel your pain as I've been stuck in a job with barely anything to do for the last year. It's just depressing when you know you're capable of so much more...but I just had to trust that that was where God wanted me at the time. It was my last day today too!
    Enjoy your summer - what have you got planned? x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment