Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Library Transformation - 'That’s so much better than I expected!'

I have posted a few hints and mentions about my library transformation. It has taken me fair longer to finish then I care to admit and I am almost there. One bookcase to go and a bit of extra staging and it should be complete. I apologise for the lack of photos in the post, I thought about the blog after starting!

Now when we were finally fortunate enough to buy our house the big compromise for me was that we had a new build. This meant saying goodbye to my Jane Austen influenced fantasies of bricks and beams and old converted warehouses (much to my husbands relief). This has meant our house can be summed up in one word… Magnolia. Now do not get me wrong we are so blessed with this house and in hindsight a new build has been ideal for our little girl and I am completely in love with my house but I did want to start adding our personality to it this year.

Now I have dabbled in a bit of DIY on occasion with reasonable results. I went a bit chalk paint mad when we had our little girl and sourced and painted all the living room furniture within her first few months (naps were handy). I haven’t managed to get on with actually transforming any of the rooms and now she is a lot bigger I feel I am running out excuses as to why. My husband is not keen on change and so I gradually chipped away at this by suggesting how the library being redecorating and reorganised would benefit him – namely the ability to display various collections he has. A picture of Lego figures displayed on the walls finally converted him from a no to a yes - thanks Pinterest. 

The first step was the paint. I tried out a few testers and the minute my husband chose the grey he liked the most (they all look the same was said a few times) I went for it and began to paint. I will admit my approach to decorating is not the tidiest and apart from moving the books out of the room I left the furniture in place and worked around it all. I still have a few areas to touch up but on the whole the grey was a drastic improvement on the magnolia and a bonus was that my husband became a bit more trusting that I could achieve the project I had outlined. My mum and brother were less trusting and were constantly suggesting I wait for them to begin stage two – the wallpapering.



They almost convinced me but with the threat of having to wait even longer to finish the room –stuff was literally everywhere upstairs. I put caution to the wind and brought the wallpaper and with no plum line, no experience and no idea I wallpapered a feature wall in Brick effect paper (B&Q bargain). To my families great surprise as well as my own I did not wallpaper myself or my hair into the wall and to my own joy it was straight. There were a few fiddly bits but I managed to wallpaper the majority of the wall during my daughter's nap time (told you they were handy) and I am super grateful to youtubers out there who have made videos for people just like me to follow.


I wouldn’t let Kev see it until it was completed but his exact words were,‘that’s so much better than I expected’


The next stage was to transform the bookcases, a story of chalk paint, wax, splinters and a few trips on ebay...

No comments:

Post a Comment